Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Last weekend Barn cleaning (Feb. 24th, 2008)

This past weekend, Saskia and I worked hard in the barn tidying up a bunch of junk that collected over the winter. We got rid of some old feed bags (not too many this last time because we just did it last month), got rid of old cracked crocks, broken water bottles, and other misc stuff. We also took some old carriers and rusty feeders to the metal recycling up the road. We started to disinfect all the crocks and water bottles not being used. Every rabbit now has a big water bottle with one rabbit having a water bottle and a crock as this rabbit doesn't seem to like the water bottles much.

We sorted through the rest of the nest boxes as well. Got rid of some old wooden French Lop nest boxes (keep 3 older ones in good shape and 2 new ones I bought from Jody in Sept.). We also kept 4 little nest boxes, perfect for smaller mini rexes (too small for Cezanne though). We also have 8 brand new medium size nest boxes and 1 older one that we have kept in decent shape. Everything else we gave to my dad to burn on his wood pile. He had fun.

We moved a few more rabbits around and hopefully soon will have everyone stationary for a lengthy time period.

We also stared our first sulfur methazine treatment of the year. We always do our first major treatment in Feb/March of every year before we are drowning in babies. Plus, with all the new stock we purchased from everyone, it doesn't hurt to have everyone on the same schedule so these guys won't need to be done again till summer or fall if nothing crops up in the mean time and I will of course treat any new arrivals as they go into my quarantine section.

We also finally cleaned all of our carriers from the VIRBA show and had them disinfected with bleach and Pinesol. Boy do I ever need new carriers. Some of the date back to my teenage years, so that is going back to the early 1990's. Once I have more funds, I will definitely be purchasing some new carriers and moving some of these old ones out probably to the recycling place. We do have a couple of newer carriers, but most are quite old.

We still have more tidying up to do, but we sure enjoyed the beautiful, warm, sunny weather on Sunday. I wore a long sleeve shirt all day outside even playing with water and I was warm till about 5:30pm, then I felt the cold.

Everyone is doing well and settling in. I still need to assembly my new 3 hole stacker that I purchased back in October from Grand view Rabbitry. That will get done soon, as the up and coming babies will need to be separated or we keep juniors.

This weekend, I will be finishing up disinfecting my vacant cages that are not in use right now. I also need to do some fur-burning again as some rabbits are coming out of their molts, before a new bunch start spreading their flying hair. LOL

Cleaning never ends- Does it?

No comments: