Saturday, February 2, 2008

Cavies

Coleton has decided that he wants to breed Kara his TSW Peruvian sow. We put Seth in with her on Jan. 29th, and tonight he was certainly a busy boy. We are pretty sure they did a bunch of breedings tonight. Things are quiet right now, so hopefully Coleton will have babies from Kara and Seth in 10 weeks, so I guess that would be in mid April. We should get Black and Whites and hopefully TSW's, but not sure.

As for Coleton's new Silkie sow "Lola" a GA/R/W she came from Dillon, but I believe she originally goes back to Amanda Swan. We are waiting for her pedigree, so not sure what is in her background yet. She is definitely pregnant as I can feel lumps starting on either side. She will be due before Kara, and Lola is bred to one of Dillon's Peruvian boars. We are excited to see what Lola produces and what colors she has. This will be my first litter of cavies since I believe 1989.

I use to raise cavies when I was a teenager and still lived at home. I raised Abyssinian's and Texels.

Coleton's 3 cavies reside in our house. We do not have any source of heat in our barn, so hopefully this spring and summer we can move them out to the barn when it warms up . It would be nice to have them outside for at least a few months anyways. Maybe next winter, I can make an area for the cavies to be warm at the barn, so they can be outside for the winter, but they are neat to have in the house too. Love their chattering and squealing every time we touch a plastic bag or open the fridge door. Needless to say they are spoiled with treats. Lola hasn't learned this yet, but I am sure she will soon learn as Seth is always the first to squeal for treats with Kara following him. They are amazingly loud sometimes with their squealing. They back onto my bedroom wall, and sometimes they wake me up in the middle of the night with their squealing.

We hope to add one more sow to the caviary yet. Can't wait to have our first litter of cavies probably in March I believe.

Well, I think that is it for the caviary updates.

No comments: