Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Blogging for the First Time

Hi all,

This is the first time I have ever tried blogging. This seems like a cool idea, so I thought I would give it a whirl and update everyone what is happening in our barn.

Lot of changes are taking place right now.
First, Saskia and I both realized we needed changes. We were kind of disheartened this winter with losing a few of our favorite rabbits after culling and selling to just keep the few rabbits we wanted over winter. Saskia has decided not to raise mini lops right now, and has decided she would like to try the mini rex. She is purchasing her first mini rex doe from Kim Posey "KT's Cezanne" who is a nice typey brood doe. She will be a great start to Saskia's mini rex herd. We still need to find another few mini rexes to add to her herd. Saskia says she wants to raise blacks, blues, castors in both solid and broken varieties and also like the REWs and opals. In the next few months, we will work at adding to her herd, and we hope to find a stud buck to breed Cezanne to soon.

Second, I have become frustrated with Holland Lops. They at times are a hard breed to get bred or if you get them breed produce live babies. I was getting single huge babies, peanuts, and even some malloclusion. I sold my whole herd to a man up island, who wants them as pets for his daughter. Some did not go with their pedigrees. I also had cut way back on my French Lops and even toyed with getting rid of them all. In the last week, I lost a special doe (Leah), so I decided to keep one doe of my own breeding who goes back to Enosh and I am getting a doe from Sarah McCrea and a jr. Buck from Barb Adams. I will play with a trio for now.

I have also decided to take over the mini lops from Saskia, although we had sold off most of her herd, but we still have a couple of older does left and Sam. I am getting quite a few from Christina Posey who has great lines and has done well on the show circuit this past year. She has mostly Velotta and Kisemble lines, and a few others in there. I am so excited to be raising the mini lops myself this year. This coming weekend we will be picking them up from the Posey's and Saskia's mini rex doe. I am also purchasing a chin ml jr. doe from Jody Mitchell and a beautiful REW mini lop SR doe from S&K Rabbitry. Diva is a half sister to Africa who we just had to put down after the buck broke her back while trying to breed. What a freak accident and I have never had this happen to me before in all the years of breeding rabbits. Thanks Stan and Kathy for letting us buy Diva.

I am also adding a fun breed to my barn. A breed that I have never raised before, but have thought about over the years. It is a surprise and I will post later when I get them. I will be picking them up at VIRBA, and I am looking forward to playing with this cool breed.

We are also planning to attend VIRBA and will have only a few to show. We are going to VIRBA to pick up stock and of course hang out and mingle with our bunny friends.

This is it for now, will post more later.
All the best.
Tammi

No comments: